Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Day I started hating beyonce

Deciding in LBL's name has been incredibly difficult.

Jus & I were able to agree on a boys name 4 years ago but girls names were tricky. We've gone around and around on baby names. Jus had his favorites and I picked a name I loved. Jus hated it and stuck to his favorites and I kept searching.

Growing up with popular names we wanted something unique yet recognizable. Girly yet able to fit a woman. Sweet yet serious. I finally found a name I adored that Jus was on board with. Ivy. Perfect for a little girl with bouncing dark curls and for a woman who could do whatever she set her mind to. Unique enough that we didn't know any yet easily recognizable as a name & word.

So imagine how I felt when I read that Beyonce and Jay-Z had named their daughter Ivy Blue, and then a couple of hours later when I saw that the name was actually Blue Ivy. There was my favorite name, plastered on every celeb site & tabloid for everyone in the world to see & consider.

Granted I knew Ivy was semi popular, holding rank at 299 on the Social Security website, but I liked that it mostly flew under the radar. Beyonce choosing it as her daughters middle name brought it into the spotlight where I'm convinced that millions of other pregnant ladies saw it and fell in love. And if there's anything I do know it's that I'd hate for LBL to go through her life being Ivy L.

In truth I think Blue Ivy is a sweet name, I preferred initial rumors that it was Ivy Blue but overall the combination is cute for the little girl of musical royalty. But dammit, Beyonce, couldn't you have chosen any other name?

2 comments:

  1. Dude...that SUCKS. What about another flowery/plant name like "Iris" or "Violet" or "Lily"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my biggest baby fear, ever. I am a family name person and our first daughter (in many, many, many years) will be Bessie Mae after my great-grandmother and mother. God help the minor celebrity who names their daughter Bessie. I'll cut 'em.

    Ivy is a beautiful name - I can't wait to 'meet' LBL no matter what her name is!

    ReplyDelete